Tuesday, November 11, 2008

The Baby Horse


There are many interesting features of boarding our horses out at Bar-K-R Ranch (www.cuttinghorse.net). One of the sagas that we've been watching since the beginning of the year is the pregnancy of Sky, the birth of her foal, and watching how Sky and the foal interact.

Sky has been a very loving and protective mama. Yet she allows her foal to interact with people, a mini-mule, other mares and the geldings. She's always watchful, but does not interfere. I can learn a lot from her.

Now, it is time for the foal to be weaned. They've been placed in the the lower barn in adjoining stalls. At first, they were both anxious but seem to have settled down into being happy to be near each other. The foal is almost as big as Sky now.


It is almost time for the foal to go on to her new owner. I wonder if I'll be as graceful as Sky has been. Will Sky miss her foal terribly? Will Sky be ready for the next time she's a Mom? Perhaps these are lessons to prepare me for when Mags gains her independence. Will I be sad? Will I miss her terribly? Nah...who are we kidding?!! We'll both be ready. ;)

No comments: