Thursday, June 18, 2009

Sailing in the BVI's...

I've been waiting a few days since we returned from our vacation sailing in the BVI's to let my thoughts about the trip settle out. I decided to write about what I learned on this trip.


Here are some of my discoveries:

  • Storms at sea while on a sailboat can be just as violent as those on land in Texas.


  • I should not wear this goofy hat in public ever again. ;)


  • And...maybe Gary shouldn't either. What were we thinking?


  • Diane and Doug are a really cute couple.


  • Don't hold your finger on the button to raise the main sail too long...even if Doug keeps telling you to. Broken main sail...although, it kept us on land for extra time for hiking and drinking at the Soggy Dollar bar.


  • Gary really likes hammocks...






  • We can get along with people we don't know very well for a whole week on a tiny little boat and make great new friends like Pat and Ron.


  • "Driving" the sailboat is fun! Mental note to self: don't let Gary talk me into wearing this cover-up in public again. It garnered way too much attention!


  • You can get some exercise on a sailing trip (other than lifting drinks). Our hike on Jost Van Dyke led to some beautiful views.



  • And finally, the BVI's have probably the second most beautiful sunsets I've ever seen.

No comments: