Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Cottonmouth Close-Up

I just went back and looked through Maggie's pictures from the Photo Safari at Hagerman National Wildlife Refuge last weekend. I had given her my longer lens to use, but I didn't realize how close she had gotten to the cottonmouth. Being terrified of snakes, I took a couple of quick shots from a very safe distance and skedaddled back into the vehicle.

When I look at this picture, I have to wonder: why aren't this guy's fangs out? Was he really just trying to warn us not to get too close? Was he lazy after having eaten his breakfast? And...why was Maggie so close? Inquiring minds want to know...well, kind of.



From inside a car at a very safe distance, at least.

1 comment:

Maggie said...

Maggie was so close because maggie doesn't have the mind to be scared of anything... Well, almost anything. :P